On this episode, Paul discusses why you need to cultivate a contentment strategy. It can be easy to get caught up in 'acquiring stuff', but the reality is, do you want to take care of and maintain 'stuff' all of your life? For many people, the answer is no. Paul Adams encourages the listeners to shift their mindset and, instead of thinking about buying the latest and greatest item on the market, think about what are your minimum requirements to a good life.
What Was Covered
- 02:15 - What does it mean to have a good life?
- 02:40 - How do we cultivate contentment today?
- 02:45 - What is contentment? Let's dispel some myths.
- 03:30 - Contentment is about knowing what you want out of life.
- 04:15 - Year ago, Paul used to be someone who would live within his means, yet he'd still desire somebody else's car.
- 04:50 - Despite this, Paul never purchased that 'dream car', because he knew it would break strategy.
- 05:45 - Are your finances strong enough for your expensive hobbies? For most people, it's not.
- 06:10 - When cultivating contentment, we must set a strategy and lifestyle that is sustainable today and for the future.
- 08:20 - What does a good contentment strategy look like? It starts by reflection.
- 09:20 - What is the minimum that you could have in life and still have it be a good life?
- 11:25 - Your good life requirements will change over time, but what does the minimal look like for you right now?
- 12:25 - Paul talks about the book called Simplify by Bill Hybels.
- 13:25 - I don't want to spend the rest of my life taking care of stuff.
- 13:50 - Is your stuff getting in the way of living your life?
- 15:45 - What happens if you could divorce yourself from your relationships with 'stuff'?
- 16:55 - When you shift your mindset away from money & stuff, a lot of stress tends to go away.
- 17:15 - We don't need to buy the next thing just because we have the money for it.
- 18:15 - Design a good life first and then build it.
- 18:55 - If we don't cultivate contentment, we're going to spend too much money.
Share the Show
Did you enjoy the show? We would love it if you subscribed today and left us a 5-star review!
- Click this link – Sound Financial Bites
- Click on the ‘Subscribe’ button below the artwork
- Go to the ‘Ratings and Reviews’ section
- Click on ‘Write a Review’